With Friday’s ribbon cutting and grand opening, West Valley Medical Center took another step toward improving the patient experience in all areas of health care. Local business leaders joined West Valley staff at 11 a.m. to celebrate the hospital’s newly expanded and remodeled MRI suite — a $2 million investment featuring state-of-the-art GE Optima MR450w and PDC Caring MR Suite® technology.
Using an iPad, the PDC Caring MR Suite allows patients to fully customize their MRI environment with personalized video, lighting and sound. Features include:
- An HD ceiling video display mounted above the patient table for viewing nature-themed images or favorite movies while outside the MRI bore
- Noise-reducing headphones offer exceptional sound quality for listening to a chosen music style or personal selections
- Illuminated image panels and colored LED lighting coves feature the patients’ chosen lighting scheme
This customizable environment has been shown to significantly reduce patient anxiety, leading to less need for sedation, reduced patient movement and fewer failed scans. The PDC Caring MR Suite at West Valley is the only one of its kind in the state of Idaho
In addition to enhanced entertainment and relaxation capabilities, the suite features GE Optima MR450w technology. This advanced imaging equipment is designed to maximize patient comfort while offering physicians uncompromised diagnostic capabilities. The Optima MR450w features:
- A wider and shorter MRI tube for increased comfort for patients of all sizes
- A table surface with different cushion densities designed to alleviate pressure points
- Feet-first imaging option for all exam types, reducing the often claustrophobic experience of entering the MRI tunnel head first
The project renovated 700 square feet of existing space and added another 1,200 square feet. Construction began in March 2016 and was completed in September 2016. The hospital partnered with Babcock Design Group; Engineered Structures Inc. served as contractor on the $2 million project.