What is Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)?

Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) can only be provided by a registered dietitian (RD). It is an essential component of comprehensive health care. MNT includes performing a comprehensive nutrition assessment determining the nutrition diagnosis, planning and implementing a nutrition intervention using evidenced-based nutrition practice guidelines, and monitoring & evaluating an individual's progress over subsequent visits with the RD. RD's provide MNT for a variety of disease conditions. Some include:

  • Cardiovascular: HTN, CHF, hyperlipidemia, etc.
  • Diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, & GDM
  • General wellness / healthy eating
  • GI Disorders: celiac disease, cirrhosis, Crohn's disease, IBS, etc.
  • Food allergies / intolerances
  • Enteral and parental nutrition support
  • Pulmonary: COPD
  • Oncology
  • Renal: CKD, ESRD, transplantation, etc.
  • Weight Management: overweight/obesity, failure-to-thrive, bariatric surgery, etc.
  • Osteoporosis, malnutrition, anemia
  • Pediatrics

At West Valley Medical Center we recognize that many individuals suffer from chronic conditions that affect their health and well-being, especially in our community. There are multiple factors that can contribute to this. We feel that nutrition and lifestyle are factors that can be addressed.

The registered dietitian (RD) is qualified to provide medical nutrition therapy (MNT) for a variety of different chronic conditions. He/she is registered through the Commission of Dietetics Registration and licensed in the state of practice. We currently have a RD employed at our facility to provide these services. He also provides services for our Lap Band program, Cardiac Rehab, and Diabetes Resource Center.

If you would like to receive nutrition counseling from our RD, please ask for a referral from your primary care physician. Once this referral is received you will be contacted to set up an appointment that works best with your schedule. If you are in need of a family physician, visit our website or call (208) 455-3981.