Birthing center in Caldwell, Idaho
The Family Maternity Center at West Valley Medical Center is dedicated to providing you and your family focused attention and compassionate care during childbirth. From routine to high-risk pregnancies, our birthing center in Caldwell, Idaho is equipped with everything you need for a healthy, optimal birthing experience.
Pre-register for your maternity stay online or by calling (208) 455-6500. To register for a childbirth class, please visit our classes and tours page.
The birth of your child is a uniquely personal experience that brings great joy and creates a lifetime of memories. We take great pride in being a part of your new beginning in Caldwell, Idaho.
Your health and the health of your baby are our top priorities. The West Valley Family Maternity Center is proud to have experienced and highly trained staff prepared to take on every delivery scenario.
Family Maternity Center features
- Private, comfortable rooms for labor, delivery and postpartum care
- Jacuzzi tubs in labor and delivery rooms for relaxation during labor
- Anesthesia providers on staff offering several pain relief alternatives, including continuous epidurals
- Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) staffed 24/7 with neonatal providers
- 24-hour anesthesia and respiratory therapist coverage to handle any potential complications your baby may experience at birth
- Childbirth classes and tours
- Registered nurses certified in ACLS-OB (Advanced cardiac life support obstetrics) and NRP (Neonatal resuscitation program)
- Dedicated OR suite in the Family Maternity Center for cesarean section procedures
Family-focused maternity care
While our primary focus is on the well-being of mother and baby, West Valley Medical Center’s family-centered approach respects the importance of the event to the entire family.
- New family suites designed for comfort and bonding featuring king size beds
- Expectant father parking allows for easy access and guests are welcome to stay overnight
- Celebration dinner prepared by our executive chef for you and a guest to enjoy in your private post-partum suite
- Flexible visitation policy for family members of all ages to be a part of the celebration
- Couplet care, which allows your baby to stay with you throughout your stay
Your baby’s safety
Advanced safety measures assist the Family Maternity Center staff in monitoring your newborn baby 24 hours a day. Our Caldwell Family Maternity Center is a secured unit, and each guest receives an identifying wristband. We also place identification bands on the baby, mother and the mother’s support person.
A small electronic device, known as the HUGS tag, will also be placed on your baby’s ankle or wrist. It will remain in place until your baby is discharged from the hospital. The HUGS tag provides a secure area for you baby by locking elevators and stairwell doors when your baby is close to them.
Hands-on education for new parents
During your stay at the Family Maternity Center, we provide basic education on how to care for your baby and yourself. Our dedicated Family Maternity Center team will teach you:
- How to use proper breastfeeding techniques
- How to speed up a healthy recovery from childbirth
- How to bathe, feed and dress your baby
- How to take your baby's temperature, recognize signs of discomfort or illness and know when to consult a physician
Maternity visitation guidelines
All visitors should enter the hospital lobby and proceed to the first set of elevators on the right. Go to the second floor. Once you exit the elevator, there will be staff available to direct you to the appropriate room.
There is no minimum age for visitors—we believe in including the entire family during this very special time.
There are no set visiting hours—we ask that you use your own judgement and suggest checking with your loved one regarding the best time to visit. Some new moms may need their rest at various times throughout the day.
Preparing for your maternity stay
You may pre-register online at least 48 hours prior to your hospital stay to make check-in more convenient.
We will have all the necessities for your labor and delivery in Caldwell. However, you may find some of the following items comforting and/or necessary for your optimal birthing experience.
Your labor bag should include:
- Insurance card and hospital info
- Eyeglasses (try to avoid wearing contacts if you can)
- Hair ties or clips
- Lip balm
- Items for relaxation (including a tennis ball for back pain during labor)
- Camera and/or video camera
- Clothes for labor (slippers, warm socks, robe, etc.)
- Focal point (like a comforting picture)
Your postpartum bag should include:
- Comfortable clothes (Gowns are provided but feel free to bring your own nightgown, nursing bra and underwear.)
- Sanitary pads (We provide these, but you may prefer your own.)
- Toiletries (mouthwash, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo)
- Comfortable outfit/shoes to go home in
Your baby bag should include:
- Optional items (blankets, diapers, pacifiers)
- Outfit to go home in (including socks and a hat)
- Car seat
Do not pack:
- Large sums of cash/credit cards