Step out of your comfort zone with this beet and sirloin steak salad. When it comes to nutrition we say, “Eat the rainbow!” Have a nice variety of bright colored fruits and vegetables in your diet. Each color offers us different amounts and types of nutrients and antioxidants that fight inflammation in our bodies. Beets that come in a variety of colors and their leaves offer us many different vitamins and minerals that are great for our brain, gut, and heart health. In this recipe, try adding some chopped beet leaves to the bed of lettuce to reduce kitchen waste and add a dark leafy green.
Ingredients and Preparation
- Medium fresh beets, washed2
- Boneless sirloin steak, visible fat removed½ pound
- Salt¼ teaspoon + 2 dashes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed green salad2 cups
- Goat cheese (or other flavorful cheese, such as bleu)3 ounces
- Balsamic vinegar4 teaspoons
- Place beets in a medium pot and fill with water. Cover and cook on high heat until water starts boiling, then reduce to medium-low and simmer until beets are tender, about 30 minutes. Drain water and let beets cool for a few minutes, then peel and slice.
- Meanwhile, prepare indoor or outdoor grill. Season beef with salt and pepper. Grill for 3-6 minutes on each side, or until desired degree of doneness is achieved. Let rest for 5 minutes and then slice into wide strips.
- Portion mixed greens onto two plates, and then top each with half of the steak, beets, and goat cheese. Drizzle balsamic vinegar onto each salad and then season with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
More Nutrition and other information here: