The time is right to spin an old recipe in to something new. Easily swap a spaghetti squash for the usual noodles.
Spaghetti with Turkey Meat Sauce
Ingredients and Preparation
|1||Nonstick cooking spray||as needed|
|2||Ground turkey||1 pound|
|3||(28-ounce) tomatoes, cut up||1 can|
|4||Finely chopped green pepper||1 cup|
|5||Garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|6||Dried oregano, crushed||1 teaspoon|
|7||Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|8||Spaghetti squash||1 squash|
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. When oven is ready place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake until tender. Roughly 45-50 minutes. Use a fork to scoop out the "spaghetti."
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
|Serving Size||5-ounce sauce and 9-ounce spaghetti|
|Total Fat||5 g|
Find other great meal options at westvalleyisbetter.com.
Anne Brock is a licensed dietitian and diabetes educator at West Valley Medical Center. Talk to your doctor today to determine if a referral to a dietitian could help you reach your health and wellness goals.